Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The 82nd Airborne: or Things I would not have known if my son had not been in the military!

My son spent 4 years in the 82nd Airborne....and I learned more about the military than I sometimes wanted to now - like how low the planes fly that drop the infantry and that they fly at night....[I am a white knuckle flyer :-0]

As my son rotated through all the levels of readiness I got to know more about how prepared this country was to protect us in any emergency! There was always a group [sorry I forget the lingo] ready to depart in 2 hours! Then there was the group who supported that first ready response group and so on down the line....

Today we as a country HAVE NO READY RESPONDERS! Why? they are all in Iraq.....

My son's comments as we discussed this was along the lines of "everyone is in Iraq, coming home from Iraq or on the way back to Iraq." It seems we are "out of" infantry.

My reading of this situation is:

If we had some major military issue to contend with here or elsewhere - we simply could not attend to it!


Scary thoughts for a country that once had a proud military and saw itself as well prepared for any and all emergencies...
now we pray that hurricanes do not hit - as we have limited National Guard left in the states; we keep lowering the standards for entry into the military - all he while offering bigger incentives to join; and losing equipment and people in Iraq while seeing no end in sight.

If you thought the Democrats were going to do something - and I as on who so thought - you were sorely disappointed that they turned out to be Repug-lite...

No comments: