Thursday, February 07, 2008

When I am not ranting : - )

I don't rant all the time - well - sort of

Since arriving in Portland, my muses have kicked back into gear and I am involved in an art group [ORA]

This group [http://www.northwestjewishartists.org], was asked to mount a 2 week show at the Oregon Jewish Museum [http://www.ojm.org] and we chose an Exodus theme.

This show opens tonight and if you are in Portland, it's part of first Thursday - tonight - February 7th

Oregon Jewish Museum
310 NW Davis
5-8 PM

My Exodus

For months my mind had been a blank on what and how to do this. Then in December I remembered that my son had asked me to write down some tidbits about my life as he was interested in "things I used to do" - so for him - I had started that... He even gave me a sort of title: From Cambria Heights to Portland. In addition, over the last few years I have been sorting through family and my own photos - over 70 years of pictures - yow!

Then it hit me! It was exactly 40 years between my leaving New York City and arriving in Portland...that could not be a coincidence I said. And voila - From Cambria Heights to Bridgeton Road: my 40 year journey to the promised land - was born!

At least it the idea was there -but no logistics - except my mind was focused on maps and photos. I yelled "help" to old friends and new for over a month - and suddenly the other day one local friend came up with an idea from a magazine she was looking at - and I then put out a "help" request on a mastermind business call that same night. Guess what - a woman on the call had seen something similar to the magazine idea with an added component - and so the planets aligned for me - the two ideas gelled and I am now in the process of putting the idea onto foam boards that will be hung in the Museum this Sunday for the opening next week!

There really are no coincidences - I have always been a believer in the idea that everything fits together and this sure is an example... This display is an abridged version of the journey - there are several of us in ORA and the museum is not spacious...so I am thinking of later doing an ebook using many more of my writings and photos and dedicating it to my son...

Tonight I will take some photos and some video footage to post on the ORA blog and elsewhere...

No comments: