Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Chicago

After saying I'll write about Chicago - I did not - was too busy helping elect a Chicago person!

I thought I knew much about Chicago and maybe I did - but had forgotten. Walking around Chicago and going to the Chicago History Museum [ http://www.chicagohistory.org/] made me do lots of thinking about the importance of Chicago to our country...

As my son has lived there for ages and shares my sense of history - he filled me in on many things Chicago...past and present....so it was a info packed few days that I spent post my meeting.

Chicago has been the home of many top notch thinkers like John Dewey, social organizers like Jane Addams, gangsters like Al Capone, architects who built the first skyscrapers, jazz musicians, manufacturers, and so many more I forget again. But a day in the museum was like a time travel trip for me - I had not remembered that so so much had Chicago origins.

Having grown up in New York, I know that cities have had major roles in the development of what was important in the USA. I know - small towns and farms are important too - but in different ways - and I can not personally speak for small town contributions.. The one I most recently lived in produced Esty Organs and that to me is not the same as a skyscraper or educational thinkers or presidents. Admittedly I have a big city bias - it's in the genes :D

Here are some photos of Chicago












A comment led me to this blog: http://chicagohistory-sharonwilliams.blogspot.com/
Check it out for more chicago info.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who is extremely interested in Chicago history, I'm delighted to hear that you've regained an appreciation for Chicago's past. The part I like best is its people. I mean, who could make up this stuff!

Lynn Dorman, Ph.D. said...

Thank you. Told my son that if he stays there - I could see me moving to Chicago when I am old old :-)

Looked at your blog on Chicago history - will link to it in my post.