Thursday, January 29, 2009

Republican Mindset: Explanation Sorely Needed

In the last few days, weeks, years, and decades I have really tried hard to understand the Republican point of view or mentality and frankly I am at a loss.

For 6 of the last 8 years they controlled the White House, The Senate and the House of Representatives. for more years than that we had to endure a trickle-down theory of economics that kept promising and promoting huge tax cuts for the wealthy and zero regulation of our trade and monetary systems.

From my point of view, the only thing that trickled down was poverty, higher taxes for the middle class, higher gas, medical and food costs, and a growing sense of depression - country wide...

That is precisely why Barack Obama was elected. The citizens of this country wanted change – and they wanted it to start January 20th at 12:01 P.M. EST.

So what do we hear from Republicans? The ones who brought shame and failure to most American institutions? The ones who brought you the mess in Iraq? The ones who brought you the “rich get richer and the poor get poorer” status we now have? What do they bring to the table in Washington, D.C.? And bring in the name of being bi-partisan?

You got it: MORE OF THE SAME. More of the stuff that failed to work for the last 8 years and more - when you add in back to when Reagan started us down this path. It’s clear to me we are on a terribly wrong path. So why are they insisting on doing it their way? What as I missing in this? What have I been missing for all those years?

Are they so blinded by their own “whatever” that they can not see it did not work? Or do they not care at all for anyone but themselves? [And their wealthier friends and corporations?]

In my life as a psychology expert I have had to diagnose people and work with all kinds of issues. To this day – I have to admit – it is the Republican mindset that I still have trouble with. I’ve had Republican friends – who were able to think for themselves and had empathy for others. They would not be going along with this crowd of white rich southern men who are trying to tell the rest of us how to live our lives. If they were still alive I’d bet they would be switching their party ID.

So please – if you are a conservative republican reader here – leave a comment that explains you and your mindset.

No comments: